The castle of Heidelberg
Picture of the castle of Heidelberg (Germany)
Camera: Minolta Dimage-XT
Comments: It was Prince Elector Ruprecht III (1398 - 1410) who had erect the first representative building as a regal residence in the inner courtyard. The exterior of the building, divided into a ground floor made of stone and framework upper levels, seems quite unpretentious today.
The two dominant buildings at the eastern and northern side of the courtyard were erected during the rule of Ottheinrich (1556 - 1559) and Friedrich IV (1583 - 1610). Today, they are considered to be two of the most important buildings in German architectural history.
Under Friedrich V (1613 - 1619), the main building of the westside was erected, the so called "English Building".