The town hall of Heidelberg
Picture of the town hall of Heidelberg (Germany)
Camera: Minolta Dimage-XT
Comments: Originally built in 1701-1703 after the destruction of the town in the Palatinian War of Succession (in 1693), the Town Hall was remodeled and extended several times. The Baroque core structure now forms the central part of the building front on the Market Square. The northern wing was added between 1886 and 1890; its second upstairs floor contains a large Neorenaissance auditorium.
Well worth seeing are murals by Wilhelm Lindenschmit and pane-glass windows by Karl Hoffacker featuring themes from the history of the Palatinate. After the Town Hall was da-maged by fire in 1908, a Neobaroque annex was built on the south end, facing the Market Square and the Hauptstrasse.