The village of Alarcon
Picture of the village of Alarcon (Cuenca / Spain)
Camera: Minolta Dimage-XT
Comments: The name of this beautiful village could come from "city of Alarico" when it was visigoth. Its former roman name is unknown. Arabs converted it in walled fortress and Alfonso VIII conquered it to make it depend of the kingdom of Toledo. Alfonso X changes it to the jurisdiction of Cuenca and since then it stays linked to this city. In the XII century it passes to depend on the Order of Santiago until it becomes the see of the marquis of Villena. The Infante Don Juan Manuel (1284-1348) was the lord of the castle for a long time, where he wrote a lot of his literary pieces.