CY0S - DX news and calendar
DX news and calendar: CY0S
Added/updated on
May 14, 2022
Callsign(s) CY0S   
Event start-end date October 1, 2022 - October 31, 2022
Links Tracking & stats          Recent spots          DX Atlas          Propagation calculator 
DXCC   CY0 - Sable I.     
IOTA   NA-063 - Sable Island     
CQ zone 5
WEB page http://cy0dxpedition.net/index.html
Planned modes CW, SSB, Digital, EME, Satellite
Planned bands 160 m, 80 m, 40 m, 30 m, 20 m, 17 m, 15 m, 12 m, 10 m, 6 m, 2 m, 70 cm
Source DX-World & DXNews           Tags: Expedition, DXCC
Log search Clublog

Information

Update May 14, 2022: As announced previously, the 2022 Sable Island CY0S DXpedition has been formally approved for this October/November. As soon as the exact dates are determined by Parks Canada, we will release them to the DX community. Parks Canada is extremely busy with maintenance projects which have priority. Environment Canada completely automated their Sable weather station in 2019 so they no longer have personnel on the island. As planning continues, the CY0S team faces significant costs. This is by far the most expensive CY0DXpedition ever. The budget for this DXpedition is $65,000. The team will charter the Sable Aviation fixed wing aircraft as well as the Vision Air Sikorsky SK76 helicopter. The team will require two round trip flights with Sable Aviation and two round trip flights with Vision Air. These charters are at a very significant cost. Additionally, Parks Canada charges for the use of the Visitor Quarters next to the Sable Station. The team members have committed to paying a minimum of 50% of the cost of the DXpedition. Currently, our fund raising is just starting to ramp up. We encourage DX'ers worldwide who need Sable Island to support our efforts. It's been a long six years with trying to make this DXpedition a reality. The team has had to overcome many obstacles.


Update May 9, 2022: Callsign has changed to CY0S.
Announced team members: WA4DAN, N2IEN, K4ZLE, K5YY, K4UEE, WW2DX, N2TU, W4DKS, W0GJ
They will operate on All Bands, CW, SSB, FT8, EME, Sat.

QSL via WA4DAN, ClubLog OQRS, LOTW.


Update March 17, 2022: The DXpedition has been authorized, however, the exact dates are not know yet, but sometime in October 2022. Indications have been positive, however, there are still issues for Parks of Canada as to the schedule due to Parks projects on the island that will take priority. They are working hard to get the DXpedition scheduled


Update April 12: Operation postponed until October 2022.

The Sable Island CY0C DXpedition team was informed this week by the Parks Canada-Sable Island manager that our scheduled October 2021 Sable DXpedition would have to be postponed due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. Furthermore, because of the pandemic, Parks Canada is behind on their island maintenance projects and the Visitor Quarters will not be available for the DXpedition team. The Sable Island manager did extend an invitation to the team for October 2022, which the team unanimously accepted. 
 
Obviously, the Sable Island DXpedition team is disappointed in not being able to follow through with the 2021 CY0C DXpedition. Hopefully the solar numbers and propagation will be much improved in October 2022.

​Since the 2021 CY0C DXpedition is not possible, the Sable DXpedition team is offering a couple of options to the many foundations, clubs and individuals who have already sent financial support. We are offering complete refunds to those who request a refund. If you would like us to apply your contribution to the 2022 CY0C DXpedition, that will be available as well.
Any refund requests should be directed to WA4DAN.
The CY0C team would like to thank the many foundations, clubs and individuals for their continuing support. Perseverance will pay off!


Update February 9: As everyone knows, the planned 2020 DXpedition to Sable Island had to be postponed due to the worldwide Coronavirus. Since that time, we have been in regular contact with Parks Canada and Sable Aviation.

There are three issues that we are currently dealing with. These include the Canadian border being reopened, the province of Nova Scotia allowing US citizens entry and Parks Canada allowing our team onto Sable Island. These are all issues completely out of our control.

We are cautiously optimistic that our planned October DXpedition will take place at that time. Still some months away, the Coronavirus will (hopefully) be under control by that time. Time is on our side in this aspect!

The Sable Island DXpedition team remains committed and excited about this opportunity. Planning continues as we receive regular updates. This is a fluid situation and we will keep everyone updated as we receive additional information. We would like to thank all of the foundations, clubs and individuals for their support, understanding and patience.

We appreciate all of the foundations, clubs and individuals who have contributed funding for our DXpedition.


Update July 19, 2020: The CY0C Sable Island DXpedition team learned this week that our DXpedition will have to be postponed until October 2021 due to the ongoing worldwide Coronavirus. Team leader Murray WA4DAN has been in regular contact with Parks Canada during this process. Parks Canada advised that no International visitors will be allowed on Sable Island for the remainder of 2020. The good news is that the Parks Canada Sable Island manager has already extended an invitation to conduct our planned DXpedition for October 2021. The DXpedition team voted to unanimously accept this invitation.

We appreciate all of the foundations, clubs and individuals who have contributed funding for our DXpedition. We are pleased to offer the following options to those who have contributed to this DXpedition:

1) A complete and total refund of donations made to the CY0C DXpedition.

2) Foundations, clubs and individuals can opt to apply their donations to the 2021 Sable Island CY0C DXpedition.

Please let us know your preference and we will act promptly on this matter.

From the entire 2021 Sable Island DXpedition team, our sincere thanks for your efforts and understanding.

73, Murray Adams WA4DAN

2021 Sable Island DXpedition Team Leader


Update May 25, 2020: Many have asked about the  impact COVID-19 could have to the Sable Island Dxpedition scheduled for October. We are routinely in contact with Parks Canada and cautiously optimistic for October at this time.  Certainly, matters can change quickly.  

However, if the DXpedition schedule is delayed due to COVID-19 regulations, we have been assured by Parks Canada that they will work with us to reschedule.  The team has been polled, and all agree that they will be able to comply to revised dates.   Currently the border between Canada and USA is closed until June 21.  Shortly after that date, we hope to have a firm decision for October assuming no additional regulations for travel, etc are placed into effect. 


Update February 21, 2020: Slight date change. Now scheduled for October 19-28, 2020. In addition, K4ZLE joins the team.


Update February 9, 2020: Planning countdown has begun as we look forward to mid-October. It took a year and half to acquire a permit due to change in Administration and unique new requirements. We plan a significant size team which is full of challenges. One big matter is the charter aircraft required which will need to make two trips to get everyone, supplies, and equipment to the island. VERY EXPENSIVE! Of course we plan activity on standard bands, but also 60m, SAT, EME, FT8. There hasn’t been any CW activity from Sable in seven years.

Generally, the teams in previous operations have been limited to 3-5 operators. We are planning 10 operators for 9 days. We will operate as much as the bands permit for 24 hours with four stations. Please keep in contact with our website. Any size donation will be very helpful and appreciated more than we can express. In addition to the chartered aircraft specially equipped to land on the beach, the Facility USE FEE is $30,000 (New).

The complete team is listed on the web site which includes the same team that provided CY9C – St. Paul in 2019. In addition, added to this Sable team is: N2TU, K4UEE, K4ZLE, K5YY, N8AA.

Don’t miss the St. Paul video posted on the website…we believe you will enjoy it and if you worked us, then fun to view the operation. Also, you are welcome to download the video for your personal use to share with clubs, etc …the instructions for downloading are listed on the web.


Update November 2, 2019: Website (under construction) now available. Team: WA2DAN, N2IEN, K5DHY, K5YY, K4UEE, WW2DX, AA4NC, N8AA, N2TU.


Update May 14, 2019: According to DXNews dates have been set to 5 - 12 October 2020.
They will operate on All Bands, CW, SSB, FT8, EME, Sat.


Permission for a Dxpedition has been authorized for Fall of 2020.

Some time ago, we had scheduled fall of 2019 for Sable. Due to circumstances we had to reschedule to 2020. Hopefully this will be better for propagation. The permit process took over a year of emailing, phone calls, and furnishing documents. Sable at this point is no longer easily “permitted” for Ham Radio DXpeditions, as the policies have changed with the change in administration. In fact our permit finally was graciously authorized as a “one time special use permit”. We believe that it is very probable that permits in the future may be essentially “nil” for a very long time. Among other policies, visitors to the island are not permitted overnight stays. Thankfully, we have been authorized to stay there for 7 – 8 days ($300 per person per day). We are grateful and excited and look forward to meeting the challenge of a sizeable operation as if it were the last one for a very long time.

The team for the upcoming CY9C St. Paul Island August Dxpedition will be the primary makeup of the Sable team. A “SABLE” information page will be maintained on the St. Paul website

This news update is provided at the request of Murray, WA4DAN-Sable and St. Paul Team Leader.


     

Go to the DX calendar

    

 
Share: Twitter   Facebook   Home page Site map Radio Sherlock search engine Terms of service  Privacy  Cookies